Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Response to lecture week 5.

"Consumption and production".

This week the lecturer introduced us to the topic "consumption and production". These are both very interesting topics. This lecture lead us into the world of activie citizens that again leads us into culture jamming witch is this week tutorial activity tasks. After taking a look at my notes after this lecture I found a note where I had written down a sentence that said "we are cumsomers of the content". This is also a sentence that is written in the course content file of week 5. And I want to reflect a bit around this sentence. What does it mean? I think the meaning of this is that we the people are affected by the advertisement and cummorcials that we see around us. Our subconscious take in every thing that we see a in a way save`s it in our minds. So the next time we are out shopping at this famous brand (a famous brand made by the power of the media), we buy the clothes that was showed in the ad, or on the cummorcial on TV. It works the same way when we go into stores or supermarkets. We always buy the brands that we know about, and these are the brands that we see around us.

We never think about how these things affect us. Just take a look at all the new things showing up in the market every day, like Iphone, Ipod, new computers, internet stores and so on. This ad`s affect us. It makes people buy it. This is propaganda, half of the stuff we are introduced to is just rubbish. I was suprised to know that there where so many social activist that is out there and doing there culture jam. Like twisting ad`s and cummorcial or doing something spectacular with the important people around us, or the environment. In the lecture they where called "citizen journalism", and I like to call them social activist because they are working on their own and not for a firm. They find information, which they use to make the ad`s backwards and other issues that they upload online for people to see. I have to be honest again and say that I haven`t seen a lot of these culture jam videos or ad`s, because I mostly watch news, or read the papers. I am an old fashion prson I think. But I think it is very cool when the social activist actually make the news, and I hope that is what we will do with our culture jam. The internet is really full of opportunities!

No comments:

Post a Comment